Saturday 5 March 2011

Alona


Alona

1.
I am three hundred years old
eighty feet tall, I am
large sprawling
and sinuously curved
my roots are messengers
luminous with question and
answer, my leaves absorb
innocence from the air
I remembered these things Friday
lying under the live oak
when I came home spinning
from the new girl Alona
who has a voice like leaves
in wind, drifting hair
like Spanish moss and a scent
yellow as oak flower in spring
2.
sit down says the teacher impatient
I am late to class again Monday
but now Alona's wood-brown eyes
are looking, they see the living reach
of my roof-high branches, the age
grooved in my silver bark
and colossal movement
in my roots

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertisement

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com